My other Grouping: Selection / In-Out Logic Game is “Undefined,” meaning that we didn’t know how many variables were in (voted for) and how many were out (voted against).
The game I’ve written for this article, on the other hand, is “Defined,” which means that we know exactly how many variables are selected and how many are not selected.
Please post your thoughts and questions in the comments!
Here’s the Logic Game:
From among nine topics, a student will select six to debate at a tournament. The topics are organized into three categories. Of the topics, three-A, B, and E-are on politics, three-H, L, and O-are on religion, and three-S, T, and Y-are on war. At least one topic will be selected from each category. The student selects the topics according to the following conditions:
If S is selected, neither E nor L is selected.
If Y is not selected, L is selected.
At least one topic on war will not be selected.
1. Which one of the following could be a complete and accurate list of the topics that the student selects?
(A) A, B, E, H, L, O
(B) A, B, E, H, L, T
(C) A, B, E, H, O, T
(D) A, B, E, H, S, Y
(E) A, B, H, S, T, Y
2. If exactly one of the topics on religion is selected, then which one of the following is a complete and accurate list of the other topics that must also be selected?
(A) A, B, E, T
(B) A, B, E, H, Y
(C) A, B, L, T, Y
(D) A, B, E, S, T
(E) A, B, E, T, Y
3. Which one of the following must be true?
(A) A is selected.
(B) E is selected.
(C) T is selected.
(D) Of at least one of the three categories of topics, exactly two topics are selected.
(E) Of at least one of the three categories of topics, exactly three topics are selected.
4. If exactly two topics from each category are selected, then which one of the following must be true?
(A) B is selected.
(B) H is selected.
(C) Y is selected.
(D) L is not selected.
(E) T is not selected.
5. Each one of the following is a pair of topics that could be among the topics selected EXCEPT:
(A) A, Y
(B) B, H
(C) B, O
(D) S, T
(E) S, Y
6. Each of the following, if known, would fully determine the selection of the six topics EXCEPT:
(A) B and E are not selected.
(B) B and T are not selected.
(C) E and O are not selected.
(D) L and T are not selected.
(E) O and Y are not selected.
The text below contains the answers to the above Logic Game.
Can’t figure out how to do the game? Not to worry – leave a comment!
For some LSAC-written Logic Games similar to this one, check out:
PrepTest 24, Section 4, Game 4 (page 213 in 10 More)
PrepTest 33, Section 4, Game 3 (page 178 in Next 10)
PrepTest 40, Section 2, Game 2